The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) is scheduled to meet from 11 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. ET. The court is not expected to vote on issues on the agenda.
ACIP is a group of external medical experts in the fields of vaccinology, immunology, pediatrics, internal medicine, nursing, virology, public health, infectious diseases and other subspecialties. The CDC typically accepts your recommendations once the votes are cast.
Tomorrow’s meeting was precipitated by this recently identified adverse event, Dr. William Schaffner, a professor in the Infectious Diseases Division at Vanderbilt University Medical Center and a member of the ACIP, told CNN. “There will be no formal votes and it will be concluded that the risk of Covid is very high and the risks of the vaccine very low. Real, but very low,” he added.
The goal of ACIP tomorrow is to analyze the need for reinforcements and review what data is currently available and published. “What [ACIP] it will prove tomorrow that evidence is very scarce, ”Schaffner says, which means, ultimately, that the group will not vote for the proponents.
Earlier this month, Pfizer announced it would seek permission to provide a third dose of the Covid-19 vaccine as a booster, citing data from Israel on the continued spread of the coronavirus and limited efficacy against the Delta variant. more transmissible.
Health officials, including Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, continue to say the U.S. needs more data before recommending anyone an increase in the coronavirus vaccine.
“The CDC and the FDA said that according to the data we know right now, we don’t need a boost,” Fauci told CNN’s Chris Cuomo last week. “That doesn’t mean that won’t change. In fact, we may actually need to give impetus at some point, either in a general way or to certain select groups, such as the elderly or those with underlying conditions.”
- Olympics 2021: 3 reasons why Sai Praneeth lost to Dutchman Mark Caljouw in his final group match July 28, 2021
- Here’s All The Free Stuff The Team USA Olympians Get, And It’s A LOT OF STUFF July 28, 2021
- The best sales to shop today: Nordstrom, Rocketbook, Leesa and more | CNN Underscored July 28, 2021
- An 18-Year-Old Was Shot Dead And A 19-Year-Old TikTok Star Was Injured At “Purge” Screening July 28, 2021
- CDC Director Confronted Over Why Vaccinated People ‘Have To Pay the Price’ for the Unvaccinated July 28, 2021