With Manchin’s expected support, Gupta would have at least 50 votes to secure his confirmation unless an unexpected democratic opposition emerges. Republicans have generally attacked his past opinions and tweets and characterized him as out of the mainstream, a sign that most, if not all, of them are likely to vote against his appointment as prosecutor. general associated with the uniformly divided chamber. .
“I’ve talked to Merrick Garland, and he’s very kind to her. And I have all the respect in the world in his decision-making,” Manchin said. “I will be leaning towards your support.”
At his confirmation hearing, Gupta lamented his past statements.
“I regret the harsh rhetoric I have used at times in recent years,” he said. “Today I can promise you that if it is confirmed to me, you will not hear this kind of rhetoric.”
Illinois Democrat Justice President Dick Durbin told CNN that “it’s possible” that Gupta’s candidacy could be brought forward from his committee before the Easter break begins later this week. it comes.
However, Manchin is undecided with two other candidates: Vivek Murthy, for being a general surgeon – whom he opposed for the job of President Barack Obama – and Colin Kahl, Biden’s election as head of Pentagon policy.
“We’re still looking at it,” Manchin said of Kahl, who has sparked Republican Party opposition for his past tweets.
This story has been updated with additional details.
- How Does A Triathlon Wetsuit Help You Swim Better? July 6, 2022
- Diamonds are the Crown Jewels of Future Technology July 6, 2022
- Tips to learn options trading July 6, 2022
- Django Unchained: How the Popular Python Framework Saves Time and Generates Revenue July 6, 2022
- My FIFA Ultimate Team Champions team is determined by 85+ x20 Packs at aoeah.com July 5, 2022