Connect with us


The missing fisherman is found alive after 17 nights in the Oregon desert




Harry Burleigh, of Roseburg, Oregon, was reported missing on the night of May 7 by his wife, Stacy, after he was unable to return home from a camping trip in the Toketee area. According to the Prime Minister, Burleigh, 69, was due to arrive home the day before to a press release dated May 9, the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office.

Douglas County Search and Rescue found Burleigh’s vehicle near a lower trailhead leading to Twin Lakes on May 8 and determined the fisherman may have tried to walk to Twin Lakes to fish before heading home. , according to a previous press release.

The trail is located in the Umpqua National Forest, located on the western slope of the Cascade Mountains, according to the National parks service.
Search teams have been looking for the man ever since and have even left food packages on the trails in hopes of finding them. His wife, Stacy, shared news about the search efforts in one community Facebook group, stating that there were sometimes 40 volunteers from eight counties participating in the mission.
Investigators left food in Burleigh around the area.
Investigators scoured the area for days to find any signs of Burleigh and had appeared empty-handed. according to police. On May 16 they had a great break when investigators found an attack box and a makeshift shelter in Burleigh. But they did not find the missing fisherman.
“They left him a lighter note and told him to make a fire and look for him again tomorrow,” Stacey said. wrote on Facebook. “It took the team another 6 hours to get out.”

A week later, on Sunday, lifeguards discovered a second makeshift shelter southwest of the original and, after calling Burleigh, heard him respond, according to the press release.

“He was found walking and complaining of mild pain, but was in a stable condition,” Sunday’s statement said. “A Brim Aviation helicopter was used to lift Burleigh from its location and transport it to a waiting Lifeflight helicopter.”

Burleigh was evaluated at the hospital and reunited with his family Sunday evening, according to the press release.

“That was the result we’ve all been looking for in this case,” the Douglas County sheriff’s sergeant said. Brad O’Dell. “The sheriff’s office would like to thank everyone who participated in this mission.”

According to the press release, at least 18 entities helped Burleigh’s recovery.