There are many reasons why someone might be addicted to drugs or alcohol, but there is no shortage of rehab centers, support groups, and support networks to help them. For those who don’t want the traditional way of dealing with their addiction, there are sober living homes. These homes offer a place for people struggling with addiction to live while they undergo treatment. They provide an alternative to street life and help patients in a supportive environment by allowing them to maintain their own routines during this difficult time.
While these sober living homes near me vary widely in size, level of involvement with addiction treatment services offered, and other factors such as cost or location; they all do offer safe haven from the struggles the addict was trying so desperately avoid in normal life before becoming addicted.
Ways By Which Sober Living Homes Treat Addiction
- A sober living home offers a safe, private environment where the patient can get away from the pressures of the outside world and feel comfortable to cope with the addiction. While most sober living homes have no intention of making patients into drug addicts again, these homes do not stand in their way when it is time for recovery.
- When these homes accept a patient, they are able to determine if or how much involvement treatment services should be involved and whether or not this will be on an outpatient or residential basis all with their input.
- While many of these homes will provide treatment services, it is not always the case, and they are there to help with anything else or offer resources where needed.
- Every sober living home whether it be residential or outpatient is different and has different rules, so patients should take some time finding the right fit for their needs and lifestyle.
- Most of these homes are staffed with people who have gone through their own recovery process and have a personal connection to addiction by virtue of having been former addicts themselves, therefore can offer helpful advice based on real world experience rather than theoretical knowledge.
How Is It Better Than Rehab Centers?
Since most people can choose between outpatient and residential programs, they can choose to live on their own or in a more controlled environment as they see fit. A sober living home is less restrictive since the patient is free to come and go as they please. For this reason, some may find it easier to deal with their addiction because of the pressures imposed by treatment centers or other recovery facilities.