Vargas did not provide any evidence to support these claims against Badio, only reiterated that the information came from the joint commission of the Colombian and Haitian authorities involved in the investigation.
Authorities say the operation involved at least 26 Colombians, some former Colombian military, hired through a Florida-based security company.
There was no journalist present in the room to ask questions to the Colombian police chief when he recorded the video.
Haiti’s election minister, Mathias Pierre, told CNN on Friday that Badio “is indeed at the heart of the assassination, but we believe he works for big fish. The intellectual brains are bigger than that. Is financing the operation still the big question? “
Haitian authorities, including incumbent Prime Minister Claude Joseph and police chief Leon Charles, also held a press conference on Friday where they made no mention of Badio or Colombia’s claims.
Badio was fired on May 17 from his post in the Haitian government’s Anti-Corruption Unit, according to a statement released by the agency on July 13.
According to the statement, he was fired for serious breaches of professional conduct. The statement also cited a complaint against Badio filed on May 20 but which did not disclose the content of the complaint.
The Port-au-Prince prosecutor’s office issued an arrest warrant for Badio on Sunday, CNN learned on Friday. The order said Badio is charged with murder and armed robbery against President Moise.
CNN has been unable to contact Badio for comment and it is unclear if he has legal representation.
The FBI began interviewing Port-au-Prince on Friday as part of the investigation into the assassination of President Moise, a source familiar with the investigation told CNN.
On Monday, the Justice Department said it would “investigate whether there were violations of U.S. criminal law” in connection with the plot to assassinate Moise. Haitian authorities have provided limited details about the investigation, but the growing number of Florida connections to the plot appears to portray an at least partially hatched operation in the United States.
In response to a question from CNN at a press conference on Friday, Haitian police chief Charles said Colombian and U.S. investigators had interviewed “key suspects” in the case. He also said some of the 24 police officers who are currently under “precautionary measures”, which normally limit movements, had been at the presidential residence on the night of the murder.
A government source with knowledge of the investigation told CNN: “We believe four police officers were working with Badio to neutralize the police around the president’s house to facilitate access. One police officer has been arrested, three at large “.
The four officers are not part of the 24 who are under precautionary measures and were not part of the president’s security team, according to the source. It appears the officers were part of a group that was doing personal security for Badio, according to the source.
The aftermath of a murder
Moise’s assassination sparked an extensive ongoing investigation in several countries, with the support of both the U.S. FBI and Colombian intelligence services.
At least 39 people have been implicated in the assassination of President Moise. Citing Haitian authorities, Colombian police said Thursday that some of the 26 Colombian suspects were hired and transferred to Haiti on the understanding that their job was to detain the leader and hand him over to U.S. law enforcement.
Several alleged killers were tricked by their compatriots, Colombian President Ivan Duque told a local radio station on Thursday. A preliminary investigation suggests Colombians were working in two groups, he said: A smaller group that knew of a “criminal” target and knew that the largest operation was a cover-up and a larger group that had remained in the dark ones.
The two Colombian suspects named in the video by Vargas are German Rivera and the missing Duberney Capador. The couple, both former Colombian military officers, have been accused of leading the operation.
Sanon has denied all knowledge of the operation and has insisted on his innocence, according to a source close to the investigation, who cannot be named because they are not allowed to discuss the matter.
Capador and at least two other Colombians were killed by Haitian authorities in response to the murder.
CNN’s Natalie Gallón, Caitlin Hu and journalist Etant Dupain reported from Port-au-Prince, Haiti. Journalist Karol Suarez in Mexico City and CNL’s Marlon Soto in Atlanta contributed to this report.
- Why are coups making a comeback in Africa? September 12, 2021
- Most Republicans want Trump as the GOP’s leader but are divided about whether he’d help them retake the White House September 12, 2021
- 7 more marketing tricks phone brands should stop using right now September 12, 2021
- The Queen praises Emma Raducanu’s ‘outstanding’ US Open victory September 12, 2021
- Watch a NASA spacewalk to prepare for a space station power boost September 12, 2021